Web Content Display Web Content Display


                                            Oromia Agricultural Research Institute

Yabalo Pastoral & Dry land Agricultural Research Center


YPDARC aspires to see secured livelihood of (agro) pastoral community in pastoral area of southern Oromia and center of excellence in dry land research.


To enhance productivity of livestock and crop, and livelihood of pastoral and agro pastoral communities by adapting, generating and disseminating appropriate technologies, while ensuring appropriate conservation and management of the rangeland resources. 


Objectives of the center

Adapt, generate and disseminate appropriate technologies needed for sustainable development of range land resources of pastoral and agro pastoral areas of Ethiopia. 

Research Process Descriptions

Crop research technology generation process

Crop technology projects/activities are undertaken by three research teams. Namely;-  cereal, pulse and oil crops, horticulture and spice research teams.

Natural Resource research technology generation process

 It contains two research team;-

Soil fertility management and soil and water conservation

Agro- forestry

Livestock research technology generation process

Animal feed resources and range land management research

Dairy technology research team

Meat technology research team

Apiculture technology research team

Agricultural Extension &Socio- Economic Research

Currently socio-economic research projects are being undertaken by two research team.

Agricultural economics research team

Agricultural extension research team 



Yabello is located 570 km south of Addis Ababa on the tarmac road to Moyalle at an altitude of 1750 masl with annual mean precipitation of 500 mm. In the area, bimodal rainfall peaks are conspicuous. The main rainy season (which occurs between March and May) gets 60% and the remaining 40% goes to the short rainy season (that extends from September to November). Mean annual temperature varied from 19oc-240c. The major resource challenges are water stress, ecological change (bush encroachment) and frequent drought.

Tel;- +251-464460265

Fax;- +251-464460663

P. O. Box ;-85 Yaballo, Ethiopia

E-Mail;-    esheenvst@gmail.com                                     

Zone;-Borena, Yeballo